The Green Upgrade You and Your Kitchen NEED: The Best Non Toxic Air Fryers of 2024
Affiliate Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links from which I may receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps me continue to provide valuable content for free and without those pesky ads! Thank you for your support.
Do you remember the first time you heard about the air fryer? Were you as skeptical as I was?
I remember thinking, “Uh uh.. no way. Too good to be true.”
And I think for the majority of air fryers on the market, I was right. But I SO wanted to experience the hype… So I dove into hyper-focused research mode to see if I could find a diamond in the rough.
And now – after dozens of hours of research and testing these machines in my own restaurant kitchen, I can confidently say – there are a few gems that pass the test.
You know me… I’m always on the lookout for how to upgrade my eco-friendly kitchen. I’ve brought you my round up of the best non toxic ceramic pots and pans and now I’ve got for you my list of the best non toxic air fryers!
So let my time, energy, money, and experience save you the exhausting hassle of testing to find the best non toxic air fryer for your own kitchen.
So you don’t end up like this poor woman:
In this guide, I’ll break down the non toxic air fryers in the 2024 market that I’ve either personally tested or jumped through 100+ hoops to find the best information the internet and real customer reviews and comments have to offer. I’ve categorized them based on various needs for non toxic air fryers and I’ve spelled out exactly how they got on this list.
But if you’re like, “Just show me the list already!” I got you. Check it out:
Instant Pot Omni Pro
You’ll never look at any other non toxic air fryers once you have this on your countertop.
This beauty does it ALL.
Simple, elegant, versatile, delicious and non toxic!
GE Cafe Couture
BEST SMART AIR FRYER
Instant Pot Duo Crisp
BEST PRESSURE COOKER
Big Boss Air Fryer
BEST GLASS AIR FRYER
BEST SELF CLEANING
Before I dive into the reviews, I want to explain my testing process and what my criteria are for a safe and truly non toxic air fryer. It bugs me to no end when I read other lists here on the internet for the best non toxic air fryer only to see a list chock-full of the toxic ones.
Only non toxic air fryers here, thank you!
So what is a Non-Toxic Air Fryer? What are My Criteria?
Here’s the deal.
Shopping for a non toxic air fryer is kind of like looking for the needle in the haystack.
And many of the pieces of hay are wearing needle costumes. And all the people telling you where to find the needle don’t realize that the pieces of hay are wearing costumes. ACK!!
That analogy was pretty silly, but do you catch my drift?
It’s not an easy task…
Not only that, but really, there are toxins EVERYWHERE and they’re coming at us from every which way. It’s really, really hard to avoid them completely but I do my very best to avoid them, and this is how I do it when it comes to air fryers:
Here’s my list of non-negotiables:
When I researched these air fryers, I looked closely at the basket materials. This is the accessory that counts the most because it’s the one that’s touching your food when you air fry.
You’ll notice that most of the air fryer baskets that come with the air fryers on this list are made from stainless steel. That’s because most non stick baskets contain those nasty forever chemicals.
There are some, however, that do not. Those are on this list.
This is what science (so far) tells us is safe. Really though, I prefer to stick with stainless steel. (Ha! Pun actually wasn’t intended there, but that’s funny!).
You’ll also notice that many of the air fryers on this list (even the ones with stainless steel baskets), come with other accessories, like baking pans, that have nonstick coatings!
As consumers, we just have to know not to use these or replace them with the stainless steel versions. Super annoying, I know.
Unfortunately, it’s a matter of these companies not yet caught up to the fact that some consumers prefer a non toxic and sustainable lifestyle. But our number is growing!
How Do I Test These Air Fryers?
When an air fryer makes it onto this list, it’s pretty special. The air fryer goes through a rigorous series of test runs in an actual professional kitchen and must pass a stringent checklist.
Here it is:
1. Noise Level: An air fryer isn’t much good if it sounds like a jet engine taking off in your kitchen. I measure the noise level in decibels (just kidding, I use my good ol’ fashioned pair of hearing holes) to ensure that while it’s working its magic on my food, it isn’t causing a racket. A quiet evening with delicious, air-fried snacks is the dream, right?
2. Countertop Real Estate: Size matters! Especially in kitchens where space is at a premium. I take note of the dimensions and the footprint of each air fryer. It needs to be compact enough to fit on a countertop but spacious enough inside to cook a decent portion. The ones that literally do everything and count as multiple appliances – they are granted a little bit more space!
3. Functionality: Does it have multiple cooking modes? How accurate is the temperature setting? I put all these features to the test. A top-quality air fryer should be versatile, allowing you to roast, grill, bake and more – not just fry.
4. Ease of Cleaning: Nobody wants to spend more time cleaning the appliance than cooking with it. I check how easy it is to dismantle and whether the parts are dishwasher safe. A non-toxic air fryer that’s also a breeze to clean? Now that’s a winner.
5. The Non-Toxic Test: This is the big one. I carefully read the manufacturer’s website, make calls, and send emails to ensure that the claims they make are true. And if I can’t find the answers, those “non toxic” air fryers don’t make the cut.
6. The Deep Dive: Beyond my own experience, I scour the internet high and low. From professional reviews to the comments section on e-commerce sites. I read it all. Sometimes, users will point out things that might not have been apparent during my tests. It’s all about the community helping each other out!
Ah! Now finally, what we’ve all been waiting for! The answer to the question:
What is the Best Non Toxic Air Fryer?
This is my list for the best non toxic air fryers:
- Materials: Stainless Steel Basket, Enamel Coated Pan (PTFE and PFOA-free)
- Food Capacity: 19.02 QT (18 L) – Fits a 12” pizza or 6 slices of bread
- Temp Range: 70 to 450 °F
- Dimensions: 15.75” L x 16.54” W x 13.9” H
- Power: 1800 W
Functions & Features:
- Air fry, Broil, Bake, Roast, Dehydrate, Reheat, Rotisserie, Toast, Warm, Convection, Slow cook, Proof, Split cook, & Temperature probe.
The one thing I just can’t live without on this air fryer is the internal temperature probe. Those of you who have had the pleasure of air frying before know all about opening the door to take the temp of your fried chicken (we all know why we buy air fryers). Not having to do this? Trust me – It’s heaven.
- Remarkably quiet operation, it purrs like a kitten.
- Equipped with a golden quartz infrared heating element for rapid heating – often skipping preheating.
- Spacious enough for family meals without hogging countertop space.
- The backlight remains on. Though it only draws 4.5W, unplugging appliances when not in use is a good practice.
- While the drip pan is PTFE and PFOA-free, the absence of a “No PFAS” label leaves some doubts. Consider this stainless steel pan as an alternative.
Who it’s for: If you want an air fryer that does it all and does it well, this is the one for you. It’s quiet, fast, powerful, versatile and it looks sharp on the counter. It’s an indispensable tool in my kitchen and every penny worth the investment.
Current Price: $299.99
- Materials: Stainless Steel Basket
- Food Capacity: 26.42 QT (25 L) – Fits a 12″ pizza, a 9″ x 13″ pan with no handles, or 6 slices of toast, 2 qt casserole dish
- Temp Range: 80 to 450 °F
- Dimensions: 17″ L x 18.6″ W x 14″ H
- Power: 1800 W
Functions & Features:
- Air Fry, CrispFinish, Bake, Broil, Roast, Toast, Bagel, Pizza, Cookies, Proof, Dehydrate, Slow Cook, Reheat and Keep Warm.
The Café Couture Air Fry Oven isn’t just the best smart air frier; it’s my overall runner-up. Its blend of smart technology and cooking efficiency makes it a standout. The spacious interior, accommodating everything from pizzas to casseroles, alongside a broad temperature spectrum, caters to a variety of cooking styles and needs.
- This is hands down the sexiest air fryer anyone has ever seen. You will get compliments.
- Extra large capacity suitable for big meals and big families.
- Power, capacity, and versatility means it could replace a full sized oven!
- The price point is high, yet this machine is 100% splurge-worthy.
Who it’s for: This smart air fryer is ideal for tech-savvy cooks and busy families. It’s perfect for those who appreciate the convenience of smart appliances and need a versatile, large-capacity air fryer.
- Materials: Stainless Steel Basket
- Food Capacity: 6.5 QT
- Temp Range: 180 to 400 °F
- Dimensions: 15.5” L x 15.4” W x 13.4″ H
- Power: 1500 W
Functions & Features:
- Air Fryer, Pressure Cooker, Sauté, Slow Cook, Steam, Warm, Roast, Bake, Broil, Dehydrate, Yogurt, Sous Vide and Bread Proofing.
The Instant Pot® Duo™ Crisp™ is not just the best pressure cooker duo; it’s a marvel of culinary engineering. This multi-cooker combines the efficiency of pressure cooking with the crispness of air frying, all under one ultimate lid. It’s a versatile tool for the kitchen, capable of replacing several appliances, and it’s incredibly user-friendly with its large LCD display.
- Dishwasher safe parts means super easy clean up.
- Ultimate Lid feature simplifies cooking, allowing seamless transition between cooking modes.
- Whisper-quiet while it’s cooking.
- The steam release can be a bit noisy.
Who it’s for: The Instant Pot® Duo™ Crisp™ is ideal for anyone who values quick, versatile cooking, from busy parents preparing nutritious meals for their family to couples enjoying varied cuisines at home. Its combination of pressure cooking and air frying features offers convenience and diversity in meal preparation, making it a superb choice for those looking to simplify their cooking routine while still enjoying delicious, home-cooked food.
- Materials: Glass & Stainless Steel
- Food Capacity: 16 QT
- Temp Range: 180 to 480 °F
- Dimensions: 16″D x 16″W x 16″H
- Power: 1300 W
Functions & Features:
- Air fry, Bake, Grill, Roast, and Toast.
The Big Boss Oil-less Air Fryer adeptly combines halogen, convection, and infrared heat for efficient cooking. Its glass bowl, inherently non-toxic, offers complete visibility, enhancing the cooking process. This air fryer, with its substantial 16 QT capacity and flexible temperature range, is excellent for a variety of dishes. Its transparent and simple design offers a distinct, user-friendly cooking experience.
- Simple operation with two knobs for temperature and time.
- Dishwasher-safe parts for easy cleaning.
- Vertical cooking space extension to accommodate larger items like a whole chicken or turkey.
- The design is basic and focused on air frying, lacking additional cooking functionalities that other air fryers offer.
Who it’s for:
- Materials: Ceramic basket
- Food Capacity: 6 QT
- Temp Range: 180 to 430 °F
- Dimensions: 17.64″ L x 13.86″ W x 13.5″ H
- Power: 1250 W
Functions & Features:
- Broil, Grill, Air Fry, Bake, Roast, Dehydrate, Rice, Steam, Stew, Yogurt, Sear/Sauté, Slow Cook and Keep Warm.
The GreenPan Matte Black 13-in-1 Air Fryer combines health-conscious cooking with convenience. Its versatility is showcased in the 13 cooking functions, from air frying to stewing, making it a multifaceted kitchen appliance. Its ceramic components are free from harmful chemicals like cadmium, PFAS, PFOA, PFOS, BPA, and lead, ensuring safe meal preparation. The thing I love most about GreenPan is the longevity of their products which is so important when it comes to ceramic cookware.
- Includes bonus non-toxic ceramic accessories like a grill plate, griddle plate, and steamer basket.
- Features a removable pot and two versatile lids for user convenience.
- The large width of the appliance allows cooking two large steaks at once, making it ideal for bigger meals.
- It is a rather large machine that requires some space, but I find that its size is justified by its ability to replace multiple appliances in my kitchen.
Who it’s for: If you’re looking for the cleanup ease of a nonstick air fryer that aligns with your health-conscious and eco-friendly kitchen, this is the one for you.
- Materials: Glass
- Food Capacity: 5 QT
- Temp Range: 180 to 400 °F
- Dimensions: 10.80″ L x 13.90″ W x 12.30″ H
- Power: 1500 W
Functions & Features:
- 6 one-touch cooking functions including Steak, Chicken, Seafood, French Fries, Bake, and Dehydrate with Rotisserie and French Tumbler accessories included.
Fritaire is hailed as the best space-saving air fryer, thanks to its compact dimensions and multifunctional capabilities. The glass material not only gives it a sleek look but also ensures healthy cooking. Its 5 QT capacity is perfect for small to medium-sized meals, and the temperature range allows for a variety of cooking methods. Bonus: It comes in 4 very stylish colors!
- Compact and efficient design, ideal for small kitchens.
- This air fryer cleans itself!
- Don’t let the size fool you – it boasts several versatile cooking functions suitable for a wide range of recipes.
- The space-saving design means cooking multiple batches for bigger meals.
Who it’s for: This air fryer is ideal for individuals or small families who have limited kitchen space but don’t want to compromise on cooking functionality.
What Makes Air Fryers Toxic? The Dangers of PFAS
Every legendary tale needs a villain, and in this case, it’s not some overcooked fries.
Let’s chat non-stick coatings for a sec.
As fab as they are for the lazy cleaner in all of us (c’mon, who actually enjoys scrubbing?), some come with a hidden baddie: PFAS. Yep, “forever chemicals”.
Sounds more like a bad rom-com title than something you’d want in your kitchen, right?
And so many air fryers have them.
PFAS: The Unwanted Guest in Our Kitchen
Alright, pull up a chair, and let’s talk PFAS. If they were a character in our kitchen drama, they’d be the sneaky antagonist hiding behind a mask.
But what makes them so villainous?
Health Hazards: Studies have linked PFAS to all sorts of health issues. We’re talking increased cholesterol levels, changes in liver enzymes, reduced immune response, and even some ties to cancer.
It’s like they’re on a mission to wreck our insides with toxic substances.
Environmentally Stubborn: These “forever chemicals” aren’t called that for fun. Once they’re in the environment, they stick around. Forever. No breakups, no goodbyes. They persist in soil, water, and air, reminiscent of toxic substances that are hard to eliminate.
It’s like the uninvited party guest that won’t leave, no matter how many hints you drop.
Reproductive Issues: PFAS aren’t just messing with our current health; they’re playing the long game. Some studies suggest they might be linked to lower birth weights and fertility issues.
Not cool, PFAS. Not cool.
While this all sounds super doom and gloom, remember, knowledge is power.
By staying informed about these toxic chemicals, we can make better choices for ourselves and our planet. But for now, let’s make sure we’re giving PFAS the boot from our kitchens.
The Environmental Footprint
Air fryers, beloved for their oil-efficient cooking, are a mainstay in modern kitchens. Yet, there’s a larger environmental narrative tied to the toxic versions of these appliances.
The Emission Concern:
When certain air fryers operate at high temperatures, PFAS within can become airborne. This doesn’t just compromise indoor air quality but also contributes to broader environmental pollution. The gradual release of these chemicals into the atmosphere can culminate in far-reaching environmental implications.
Manufacturing’s Hidden Toll:
The creation of toxic air fryers and associated non-stick materials can inadvertently introduce PFAS into our surroundings. Production processes may inadvertently contaminate local waterways, posing threats to ecosystems and communities alike. Moreover, mismanaged production waste has the potential to infuse the ground with these chemicals, jeopardizing soil and water reserves.
Biomagnification’s Ripple Effect:
Beyond direct exposure lies a more insidious threat. Wildlife, particularly those atop the food chain, can amass PFAS in their systems. This concentration of chemicals, as they move up the food web, poses health risks not only to animals but potentially to humans consuming them.
A Sustainable Horizon:
In the face of these challenges, innovation emerges. Growing awareness around PFAS’s environmental cost is fueling the development of safer non-stick alternatives. And consumers are opting for more traditional materials like stainless steel.
And as informed consumers, the ball is in our court. By gravitating towards eco-conscious, non-toxic air fryers, we’re not just safeguarding our health but advocating for a greener, cleaner Earth. Every informed choice nudges us closer to a sustainable culinary future.
Avoiding Harmful Chemicals in Your Air Fryer Oven: Identifying Deceptive Advertising
Ah, the world of advertising – it’s a wild and tricky terrain, isn’t it?
As I poured over my endless research on non toxic air fryers, I realized that finding the right appliance is a bit like embarking on a treasure hunt, filled with misleading clues and deceptive tactics.
So, let’s play detective and decode some of these tricky advertising terms, shall we?
Deciphering Buzzwords: What They Really Mean
Famous Non Stick Surface Coatings: Oh, how we adore the ease they bring into our lives. Yet, it’s this very charm that may hide sinister secrets. Many of them, especially those with the notorious nonstick coating, are known for containing those unwelcome ‘forever chemicals’, PFAS.
PTFE Free Air Fryer: This is claimed by companies that make non toxic ceramic coated air fryers. While they’re not using Teflon (PTFE), they may not be free of all PFAS and this will require more in-depth research.
Teflon Free Air Fryer: This is just another way to say “PTFE free air fryer”
FDA Approved: Sounds impressive and safe, right? But here’s a little secret. This label can be deceiving. Just because a product has the FDA’s nod does not mean it’s devoid of PFAS.
Not All That Shines is Non-Stick
It’s crucial to understand that the term ‘non-stick’ has become a vast umbrella, under which many brands take shelter. And, unfortunately, not all of them are sincere. Here are some things to keep in mind:
Variability in Non-Stick Coating Formulations: Not every non-stick coating has the same chemical composition. While some genuinely avoid harmful chemicals and health risks, others might just be using an alternative that hasn’t been flagged… yet.
Ambiguous Marketing: Some brands cleverly use marketing jargon that sounds safe but is vague enough not to make a definite claim. Phrases like “healthier non-stick” or “eco-friendly” can be red flags unless backed by concrete evidence.
To sum it up, the world of air fryer advertising is filled with mirages. But with a keen eye and an informed mind, you can dodge the pitfalls and select an appliance that’s genuinely safe and efficient.
It’s always worth investing a little more time and going into more detail upfront to enjoy countless hours of worry-free cooking later.
What are the Best Materials for Non Toxic Air Fryers?
The secret to their success, here, lies in their construction.
The materials used in these air fryers can truly make or break their non-toxic status.
Stainless steel, glass, and ceramic coated baskets have emerged as the stars of the show in the best air fryers. They’ve become my trusty companions as I cook food that not only tantalizes the taste buds but also respects my health and the environment.
Ceramic Coated Baskets (Safe and Non-Toxic Verified):
Healthy Choice: As long as the ceramic coating is verified safe and non-toxic, you’re in good hands. It doesn’t leach unwanted chemicals into your meals.
Durable: These coatings are built to last, resisting scratches and dings.
Easy Cleaning: Being dishwasher-safe, it’s the dream of every person who’d rather eat than scrub.
Not All Are Equal: Always ensure the ceramic used is genuinely non-toxic. Some might only be “ceramic-like” or have questionable additives that might pose health concerns.
Stainless Steel Baskets:
Heat Resistant: A stainless steel basket can withstand high temperatures without batting an eyelash, ensuring no harmful chemicals hitch a ride into your food.
Longevity: It’s sturdy and doesn’t degrade quickly. Personally, I think these are the best air fryers.
Clean as a Whistle: Cleaning a stainless steel air fryer is relatively hassle-free, making post-cooking clean-up a breeze.
Can Get Hot: The air fry basket can become scalding during cooking, so always handle with care.
See-Through Advantage: Monitoring your food becomes easier since you can watch it as it cooks.
Chemical-Free: Glass is inherently free from harmful chemicals, making it a reliable non-toxic choice.
Fragile: A sudden drop or temperature change can cause it to shatter.
Weight: Glass is usually heavier than other materials, making it a tad cumbersome.
Choosing the right material largely depends on your cooking style, frequency, and personal preferences.
Whichever route you decide, always ensure your air fryer’s interior is designed to keep those pesky chemicals at bay.
What Size Air Fryer is Right for Me?
To determine the best fit, consider:
What You Cook:
Whole chicken? Opt for larger models, some even have a rotisserie spit.
Limited counter room? Some non toxic air fryers double as toaster ovens, maximizing functionality.
Pros of Smaller Fryers:
Quicker to clean.
Lighter to handle.
Might require batch cooking for larger groups.
Remember: It’s all about balancing these factors to find the best fit for your needs.
Culinary friends, our journey into non-toxic air fryers has been eye-opening.
These devices aren’t just trendy; they’re a path to healthier eating when compared to traditional frying methods. Ditching the PFAS found in some air fryer baskets and embracing the clean, green, energy efficient ways of air frying ensures meals that are tasty AND safe.
And with more and more brands hopping onto the non-toxic air frying bandwagon, finding the right air fryer to crown your kitchen is getting easier.
Don’t be afraid to air fry the right way. Get your hands on one of these air fryers so that you too can say “I cook with the best non toxic air fryer!”
Bon appétit, and happy air frying!
What are PFAs?
PFAS, or per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, are a group of man-made chemicals that have been used in a variety of industries around the world since the 1940s.
They’re known for their ability to resist heat, water, and oil. Because of these properties, PFAS have been used in a wide range of products, from non-stick pans and food packaging to water-repellent clothing and firefighting foam.
The concern with PFAS is that they don’t break down easily in the environment or the human body, earning them the nickname “forever chemicals.”
Over time, they can accumulate, and prolonged exposure has been linked to a range of health issues, including hormone disruption, lowered immunity, and even certain types of cancer.
As a result, there’s growing scrutiny and regulation surrounding their use, especially as we learn more about their potential impacts on both environmental and human health.
Will a Non Toxic Air Fryer Still Have a Chemical Smell to it Initially?
Absolutely, many folks notice a distinct “factory smell” when they first unbox their new air fryer. This aroma often arises from the manufacturing, packing, and shipping processes.
It’s a good idea to run the machine intially with a bowl of vinegar/lemon juice solution. The vinegar can help neutralize and remove any lingering odors.
Additionally, considering the uncertainty around the factory smell, it’s a smart move to do the first test run outside or in a well-ventilated area. Running the appliance outside ensures that any potentially unpleasant or questionable odors don’t permeate your living space.
No matter what, always give any new cooking device, like an air fryer, a thorough cleaning or run a cycle to help burn off residues before its first culinary mission. Better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to the food we eat and the air we breathe!